Building on the success of last year, the Convivium committee has stretched the event into a two day affair, taking place on the 22nd and 23rd of October. Day 1 is by invitation only, with 50 industry insiders being invited to attend. Chefs who participated last year will receive an open invitation for the weekend. Over and above this, we will be evaluating applicants from any young (or old!) candidates.
The application is a simple process – simply drop us a mail saying why you feel you should be part of the movement. If you are considering a career in food, you are a hungry and ambitious chef, or if you are looking for inspiration – then this is your chance.
Day 1 will include various speakers and workshops, as well as a breakfast, lunch and a braai.
- Margot Jansen (Le Quartier Français) – Responsibilities of a chef outside the kitchen
- Roushanna Gray (Veld and Sea) – Mountain foraging
- Rob Cowles and Jono Le Feuvre (Rosetta Coffee)
- Pavs Pillay (SASSI) – The role chefs can play in educating the public about lesser known fish species
- Ross Symons (White on Rice) – What is creativity, anyway?
- Pieter and Koot Prinsloo (Daybreaker Beef) – How farmers and suppliers can work together
- Adi Badenhorst (AA Badenhorst Wines) – The rise of obscure varietals and the struggle the small winemaker faces
- Kurt Ackermann (OZCF)
- Mozzarella making with Wayne Rademeyer
- Beer tasting with Hoghouse
- Gin tasting with Hope on Hopkins
- Vegetable garden walks
Chefs for day 1
- Breakfast – Collete Robert (The General Store)
- Lunch – Wesley Randles (The Shortmarket Club) & Jess Grant (The Table)
- Dinner – PJ Vadas (Hoghouse) & Ash Heeger (ASH)
TICKETS FOR DAY 1 — R400.
Day 2 will see a feast for 100 people being prepared using only donated produce from various suppliers.
The lunch sees the country’s top chefs and winemakers cooking side by side. The atmosphere is one of collaboration, with various techniques on offer. The end result will be a massive table loaded with various dishes, presented by the chefs as they draw inspiration from the seasons and the surroundings.
- PJ Vadas – Hoghouse
- Ash Heeger – ASH
- Wesley Randles – The Shortmarket Club
- Karen Dudley – The Kitchen
- Wynand van Rooyen & Kirbey Auret – The Flying Boar / Woodlands Eatery
- Jason Lilley – Jason Bakery
- Angelo Scirocco – Urbanologi
- Ivor Jones – Beau Constantia
- Emma Hofmans – Hallelujah
Wine Selection for the Day
- Thinus FRAM Kruger
- Callie Porseleinberg Louw
- Ryan Silvervis Mostert
- Adam Marvelous Mason
- Sebastian Beaumont
- Adi Badenhorst
- A shuttle service will be departing from 81 Church Street at 10am. Tickets are available at an additional cost. Please contact email@example.com to make a booking and use Convivium 2016 as your subject line.
- Guests are invited to participate in the workstations from Day 1 (gin, beer, wine, mozzarella etc.)
- Lunch is served at 1pm.
- Shuttles will be departing Kalmoesfontein from 5pm.
TICKETS FOR DAY 2 — R950
Tickets are available on Quicket – http://qkt.io/wroVoC